The ideal editor is passionate about delivering published materials that are error-free to help parents homeschool classically from a Christian worldview. The Editor works closely with the Senior Editor to ensure the quality, clarity, and consistency of Classical Conversations Multi Media products across the curriculum. The Editor is a steward of words, reviewing not only for technical correctness but also to ensure that Classical Conversations’ mission and vision are represented winsomely in all published materials.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- College degree in English or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience as an editor and/or proofreader for print and digital publications.
- Must live in NC, VA, TN, OK
- Excellent grasp of formal English grammar, punctuation, and syntax. The ideal candidate is not simply an instinctive editor but is able to explain the rules behind his or her corrections.
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Regular access to high-speed Internet connectivity
- Available to travel to the Home Office 2-4 weeks per year and up to once per month on short notice as needed.
- Able to engage in web-based communications.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Passionate about finding and correcting errors to present a polished product to end-users.
- Has experience editing curriculum or other highly technical book-length projects.
- Has worked in print publishing and has experience reviewing printer proofs.
- Familiar with the Chicago Manual of Style and able to navigate style guides efficiently.
- Easily navigates desktop publishing tools (MS Word, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat). Experience using Adobe Creative Cloud applications preferred (InDesign, InCopy).
- Demonstrates strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Consistently refers to reliable sources and authorities to confirm information.
- Sets priorities and juggles multiple projects capably
- Exhibits dependability and follow-through
- Accepts responsibility for work and for mistakes when made.
- As we are an increasingly global company, knowledge of other languages is beneficial, especially Spanish, Portuguese, or Russian.
- Editing: Works with curriculum developers on early-stage editing and fact-checking of new content. Works with designers on late-stage proofreading. Reviews and corrects or approves printer proofs.
- Record-keeping: Updates product spec sheets to reflect up-to-date and accurate information. Monitors errata reports and regularly updates errata sheets for all active products. Assists in maintaining the company’s intellectual property, including copyright registration, and licensing of images and text. Assists in maintaining the company’s editorial style guides.
- Accountability: Completes personal scorecard monthly. Provides feedback to leadership about ways to streamline processes, projects, schedules, and communication within the production team.
- Stewardship: Consults manager before spending monies. Completes a personal scorecard monthly. Keeps manager informed about workload and potential hiring needs.
- Continued Learning: Attends regular roundtables with other editors to practice skills. Attends biannual meetings with manager and completes Personal Learning Plan. Maintains technical knowledge by attending editing workshops, reviewing professional publications, and participating in professional societies as needed.
- Communication: Communicates regularly out to the manager with status updates, questions, and blockers. Communicates in to team members and across to a cross-team group of editors. Escalates issues to the manager as needed.
- Reporting: Tracks editors’ activities and reports to the manager as requested.
- Communicate and model the Classical Conversations Core Values – Grace, Humility, Integrity, Diligence, and Excellence
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Acute vision
- Sitting in front of a computer for long periods of time, up to eight hours per day, with breaks.
- Communicating over the Internet and via phone
To apply, please submit a resume to email@example.com