To help keep homeschooling and Christians free to worship and educate as they see fit, ensuring the passing of favorable legislation or unfavorable legislation is changed or stopped. Work with strategic state legislators to pass legislation protecting people freedom of religion and education. He/she will be responsible for building and strengthening relationships with State officials and committees with Classical Conversations. This role will draft legislative proposals and monitor and analyze existing and emerging legislative proposals to determine the education community’s potential impacts. With a keen awareness of current State and Federal political environment, this role will advise Classical Conversations Leadership about significant trends, events, and serve as an advisor.
- A bachelor’s degree
- 10+ years of experience in policy, government relations and/or public affairs, or related experience.
- Within driving distance of Southern Pines, NC or willing to relocate.
- Experience managing groups of people
- Someone keyed into the policy issues that matter to Homeschool education and enjoys rolling up their sleeves to get the job done.
- You are a builder. You don’t wait to be asked to do something. You have a strong internal compass on how to lead this function and can work autonomously. You greatly value collaboration.
- Someone who moves fast, is focused on delivering results, and has a track record of working well across a diverse group of internal and external partners.
- Someone who is user-focused, passionate, scrappy, solutions-focused, and innovative.
- Comfortable, confident, friendly on-camera presentation skills.
- Ability to work independently and responsibly while managing numerous projects simultaneously.
- Excellent analytical and time-management skills
- Able to work weekends if needed
- Travel approximately 1 to 2 times a month.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability/willingness to travel frequently across the country, including some evenings and weekends.
- Understand, be familiar with, and have experience in the legislative, regulatory, and budget process.
- Familiarity with Homeschool education.
- Have strong negotiation skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to anticipate, identify, organize, and analyze public policy opportunities.
- Possess excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Be detail oriented, adaptable, organized and able to successfully manage multiple projects and tasks.
- Be a proven self-starter with excellent judgment and careful attention to detail.
- Have the ability to work effectively with diverse populations with a high level of integrity, diplomacy, and initiative.
- Be proficient in the use of personal computers and Microsoft software applications.
- Oversee the development of public policy priorities at the state level in collaboration with other relevant chapter staff and the national public policy office.
- Develop the strategy – and oversee all trainings, efforts and activities – to achieve the state-level public policy priorities, including working with the state legislature and state agencies, including the public education department, and other state homeschool organizations.
- Serve as the Classical Conversations’ chief professional lobbyist by developing relationships with state legislators and other relevant government officials and by lobbying for the state policy priorities.
- Monitor committee meetings and legislative action during the state legislative session as well as between sessions.
- Build, develop, and work with, where appropriate, alliances with similar organizations, coalitions, committees, task forces, etc. in order to advance issues of importance to Classical Conversations at the state level.
- Represent public forums, conferences, state task forces, government agencies, etc. on state public policy issues as needed.
- Provide a periodic update of state legislative and regulatory issues.
- Direct and assist advocacy staff as needed in state-level advocacy activities, and other activities by advocates, primarily by identifying opportunities for grassroots involvement on state issues.
- Assist and collaborate with the Field team to ensure state legislators, legislative staff, and other state government officials have an understanding of Homeschool education and are aware of the programs and services that Classical Conversations provides to meet the needs of families.
- Assist and collaborate with the Marketing team to coordinate media outreach that promotes Classical Conversations’ state policy priorities, including through press releases and other earned media events.
- Track and report activities to ensure compliance with federal and state lobbying laws.
- Communicate and model the Classical Conversations Core Values – Grace, Humility, Integrity, Diligence, and Excellence
- Perform other duties as assigned
Must be able to sit a computer for long periods of time, travel, be around/interactive with other people
To apply, please submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org